From the 3rd to the 5th of March 2023 Rhebokskloof Wine Estate, in Paarl, will be abuzz with all things cycling. The inaugural Bike Fest Paarl will not only be hosting the South African Marathon Championships, on Saturday 4 March, but will also feature an expo, food stalls and a host of other mountain bike races. Entries are open to all levels of mountain bikers, not just the racers looking to contest for South African colours.
Bike Fest Paarl is hosting over 10 mountain bike races between 3-5 March. These include:
- Schools Short track Challenge: A 1.7km loop where students can race 1 of 4 categories (Age Categories 13-18)
- SA XCM Championships (Age Categories 13 to 60+):
- 80km Ultra Marathon
- 62km Marathon
- 43km Half Marathon
- 28km Quarter Marathon
- Two Enduro Races (Ages 13 to 60+)
- Lite a lite and full
- Family 5km MTB fun ride (Ages 8+)
- Ladies Only Rides (Ages 15 to 60+)
- Two eBike Races (19+ years)
- Kiddies Push Bike Lap Race
Entries are open to everyone, regardless of skill or experience level, there is a distance and discipline for everyone. Entries are available through: www.bikefestpaarl.com.
South African XCM Championships
As part of the festivities over the weekend, Bike Fest Paarl will also be hosting the National Mountain Bike Marathon Championships. All age categories will be represented and the best mountain bikers in the country will be out racing for the prestigious title of South African Champion along with the right to wear the national champion’s jersey until the 2024 XCM Championships.
Age Categories and Distances:
- 80km Ultra Marathon: Elite Men & Women (19+), Sub Vet Men (30-39) & Vet Men (40-49)
- 62km Marathon: Junior Men (17-18), Junior Ladies (17-18), Master Men (50-59), Sub Vet Women (30-39), Vet Women (40-49)
- 43km Half Marathon (Sunday, 5 March): Youth Men & Youth Ladies (15-16), Master Women (50-59), Grand Master Men & Grand Master Women (60+)
- 26km Quarter Marathon (Sunday, 5 March): Sub Junior Boys & Girls (13-14)
Bike Fest Paarl – Bike Expo
With close to 100 stands secured, the top cycling brands and related products in the country will all have stands at Bike Fest Paarl, displaying their latest gear and equipment. There will also be a 5km Test Track where the bike brands will have test bikes on offer. What better way to decide on a new bike than by testing a few? There will also be prizes up for grabs, including entries to FNB Wines2Whales, Wineland Trails memberships, gear and equipment.
No festival is complete without great food and entertainment. MTB World Cup circuit MC, Max Cluer and, South African Favourite, Shaun Pieters will be your hosts for the weekend. They will not only be keeping everyone informed of all the action taking place out on course but will also be interviewing high profile riders like, Andrew Neethling, Team Insect Science PRO, Toyota Specialized and a number of industry specialists from various brands.
For the Foodies
Bike Fest Paarl will boast over 20 specialist food vendors, with options to suit every taste bud. There will also be wine, gin and beer tastings on offer, providing excuses aplenty for non-riders to come enjoy the weekend’s festivities too. There will also be be ample parking, showers, bike storage, bike wash and lots more to ensure you have a great time at Rhebokskloof, on and off the bike.
To find out more visit www.bikefestpaarl.com.