Mountain Bike is mostly an individual sport, where the athlete competes for their personal best time against a cohort of other individuals. But this sport is unique in that despite individualism, a strong bond and camaraderie amongst the participants are positive and helpful. From social riders to elite-level athletes, there is constant support and care for each other. And with this passion for each other and the sport, Pedal Project decided to build the South African Dream Bike, utilising the best locally made or developed components.
That is the basis for the idea to create the South African Dream Bike to ensure that Pedal Project can continue to PedalForGood and offer #TrailTherapy to its 60 youth from Khayelitsha. They benefit from the programme this year and continue throughout the next. Through the shared passion for bikes and the impact they can make, everyone involved did not hesitate to get on board this initiative, to not only showcase their fantastic work but also to support Pedal Project together.
Pedal Project works with at-risk youth from under-resourced communities due to their social challenges, which lead to underlying mental health challenges. The core programme, PEDALFORGOOD, combines the challenging activity of mountain biking in green spaces with the support structure of caring coaches that perform the role of older mentors, with mindfulness techniques to h create #TrailTherapy. This will enable the youth to manage their emotions better, improve focus at school and reduce risky behaviours.
The SA Dream Bike
- Naturally, the first place to start is the bike’s frame which PYGA Industries supplies; the HYRAX is an all-around trail bike that will enable you to ride most trails in South Africa and beyond. It’s fast and agile, just like the creature named after, to skip across rocks and features you will find in the trails.
- cSixx is providing the wheelset to ensure you can keep the beautiful Hyrax rolling and a dropper post, along with some of their custom components, including hubs and dropper post and lever.
- Lyne Components is supporting the initiative with their magnificent handlebars and their innovative Shred Zeplin, an all-in-one bike tool, and their unique mini tool and bottle cage.
- Cape Cycle Systems has come on board to ensure the rest is covered. Providing a complete SRAM Eagle GX Drive train, 150mm RockShox PIKE fork and SRAM Guide G2 brake set with Centre Line rotors.
- South Africa MTB hero Andrew “Needles” Neethling included 29” Kenda Tyres, ODI grips, Crank Brother E-Mallet pedals, and a saddle from his sponsors on the dream bike build.
- BMC ensures the bike is truly South African with deep green and gold colours, adding a rainbow on the top tube using Pedal Project colours to inspire hope.
- Armour Ride completes the dream build to ensure that the bike is covered and protected against all the elements one might get through, once this bike is on the trails.
SA Dream Bike Sponsors
Local mountain bike frame manufacturers have been producing small-scale handmade bikes that are simple but allow the rider to get the most out of the bike. They have been operating out of Howick, KZN, where they can test their bikes against some of South Africa’s best trails.
A local manufacturer of high-end aluminium and carbon components at the foot of Table Mountain for close to 10 years. Its mission is to improve rider experience by ensuring its engineers are also riders but expand its local production footprint in South Africa.
Cape Cycle Systems
SRAM and RockShox distributor have supported the local mountain bike industry for nearly 30 years by giving back in one way or another. From ensuring trails are supported and maintained, assisting in hosting racing events and providing localriders has an opportunity to represent South Africa on the global stage.
Local manufacturers of cycling components based in Cape Town have been designing rider-focused components to meet the growing demand in the South African market. Their innovative designs are recognised amongst the best in the world.
Bicycle Maintenance Company
Bicycle Maintenance Company was founded by Jared back when mountain bikes were not mainstream yet, and they have been eager to share their passion for bikes and their creative approach to most mountain bike-related things. They have a history of producing iconic artwork on helmets and frames for local riders.
A local design team and manufacturer of world-class bicycle protection, produces various types of on-frame protection for Mountain bikes. They can create anything from quirky cartoon graphics to custom designs to meet one’s brand identity.
SA Dream Bike Raffle to Raise Funds for the Pedal Project
The SA Dream Bike raffle, [limited numbered tickets will be sold by a vetted online platform, Quicket, and the prize will be drawn at random via live streaming on the conclusion of the raffle] is scheduled to be launched on the 24th of October and conclude on the 27th of November and the Live Draw taking place on the 28th of November.
The SA Dream Bike Raffle Campaign is vetted and endorsed by the National Lotteries Commission with number: 00409/01
The raffle is accessible through the Pedal Project website: pedalproject.co.za. The updates and outcome of the raffle
will advertise on the following social media channels and email.