The Momsen Vipa first made its debut in 2013 and since then the standard frame has spawned a number of incarnations. The most exciting of these is the Vipa Ultra, which you can read about on Diverge here, but also the Vipa Trail and Vipa Race. Seamus Allardice put the Race 2 through its paces over a month long test and this is what he found…
- Super-efficient suspension: The Vipa Race’s suspension travel feels very linier and direct.
- Aggressive Geometry but Balanced Handling: Despite the aggressive geometry and 70.5° head angle the bike is well balanced and capable on technical terrain.
- Superb Value: At R50 430 (as of 31 August 2018) for a full XT build it represents remarkable value for a full carbon framed bike.
- Shimano XT 2×11: Though 1×12 is the vogue there’s still a place for 2x especially when paired with an eleven speed cassette. It’ll be cheaper to maintain in the long run.
- Stans ZTR Wheels: Strong and light the ZTR wheels do what they need to do without you having to worry.
- Double Bottle Cages: Two bottle cages in the front triangle make life and long rides a lot easier.
- Endurance Focused: The Vipa Race is essentially a stage race and XCM bike, which tells in every specification and geometry choice.
Things I’d Change
- Grips: The Kraton MTB Lock-On grips are a bit harsh if like me you prefer low profile gloves. I’d change them for a set of chunky silicone grips.
Buy It If
You’re looking for a great value marathon and stage race bike and aren’t too fazed by the fact that the updated Momsen Vipa Ultra has just been launched.
|Seattube Length||Toptube Effective||Head Angle||Seat Angle||Wheel-base||Rear Centre||BB Drop||Headtube||Reach||Stack|
|Frame||Full Carbon Race, 80mm Rear Travel, Internal Cable Routing, Integrated Toptube Box, Dual Bottle Front Triangle|
|Fork||Rockshox SID RL Remote, Air Damping, 15mm Thru-Axle, 100mm Travel ( Onelock Remote )|
|Rear Shock||Fox Floats DPS, Performance Series, 3 Position Adjust, Evol|
|Headset||Taper Integrated Type|
|Stem||Alloy 7 Degree Oversize 31.8mm,|
|Handlebar||Alloy Oversize 31.8mm, 720mm Wide|
|Grips||Kraton MTB Lock-On|
|Rotor||Shimano RT-81 Centerlock, 160mm Front and Rear|
|Brake Lever||Shimano M8000 XT Hydraulic|
|Tyres||Vee Tire Co. Mission, Tubeless Ready, 72TPI, Folding Bead|
|Tube||Kenda 29 x 2.10 Presta|
|Rims||No Tubes ZTR Crest S1, Tubeless Ready, 32H|
|Spokes||Stainless Butted, Brass Nipples|
|Front Hub||Shimano M7010 Centerlock / 15mm Thru-Axle|
|Rear Hub||Shimano M7010 Centerlock / 14 x 12 Thru-Axle|
|Chainwheel Set||Shimano M8000 XT 11-Speed, 36/26T, 175mm|
|Bottom Bracket||Shimano Pressfit|
|Seatpost||Momsen Alloy, 31.6mm|
|Seat Binder||Alloy, 34.9mm|
|Shifters||Shimano M8000 XT for 2 x 11 Speed|
|Front Derailleur||Shimano M8000 XT, Direct Mount|
|Rear Derailleur||Shimano M8050 XT 11-Speed Shadow Plus Design|
|Cassette||Shimano M8000 XT 11-Speed 11-42T|
|Accessories||Rubber Chainstay Protector, Metal Headbadge, Owner’s Manual|
|Weight||12.38kg ( Large )|